Sunday, September 3, 2023

Pov: I am a teen (18)


  Previously, I had created a picture of adulthood as a bed of roses. The irony of it began to dawn on me as I clocked eighteen. Anxiety and lack of confidence began to weigh me. Typical of the life of a thriving teenage girl, right?

 I came across a blog that gave an outline of the features of an early adult. This blogger described an early adult as someone who tries to understand the mysteries of the world, tries to find means of making a living and becoming one of the 'big things'. I'd say the solution to this is to acquire knowledge and keep yourself engaged. In today's age working hard is not really the deal but working smart is! Being an eighteen-year-old fills one with lots of excitements and also anxiety about the future, and this is the best and only time to get it right. This is the time when questions about one's future emerge, this is the time when one is excited to make it at all costs and we have to be careful about the choices we make and price we're willing to pay to attain our goals.

 I remember how, when I was younger, I would admire the portion of food and meat given to my dad, and I'll always question my mum, "why is daddy's meat two and I don't even have meat." And she would say "he is your daddy, when you grow up, you can have as many meats as you desire." I, filled with so much innocence, had continued to look forward to the day when I'd be an adult. Fortunately, and unfortunately, being an adult is not all about having as many meats as you desire (😂 reality dawns again).

 Few hours to my birthday reminded me of the irony in the concept of age.  The pressure of purpose began to weigh on me. It is funny how advancement in age is celebrated, meanwhile, in reality, age is just a countdown to our death dates.

1 comment:

  1. pls! endeavour to comment, like and share. be a part of this growth journey.

    ReplyDelete

Hi pen

 I am back Broken  Experienced  Yearning  Love is a tricky thing  One moment it's all rosy The next you don't know what went wrong  ...